Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A commercial for Lumix

And now for a short commercial break. After many years of carrying tons of photo equipment over five continents and shooting many thousands of pictures, I finally see the advantages of travelling light. My wife, who has shared the burden, says: "It's about time."

We're on the road this trip for about 120 days and it includes two weddings, big photo events, so I planned on two cameras: the big Nikon with just the minimum zoom lens, flash and required accessories, battery chargers, etc.; and a little Lumix DMC-LX3 plus an external flash. You could put the latter with all its accessories in one pocket; in fact, the external flash is larger than the camera. The Lumix LX3 qualifies as just one step up from a point-and-shoot. After a month of using the Lumix, to my surprise, and quite to the contrary of what I anticipated, the little camera has become my constant companion; the Nikon didn't even make the cut for Europe. I am now a Lumix Lunatic.

There are minuses, of course: there is no eye-level viewfinder and the lens has a limited zoom range. It uses a detachable lens cap and you can't easily mount a protective filter as a replacement. It is slower to start up and focus, the screen washes-out in sunlight and lacks the flexibility and power of the DSLR. As I write this, Lumix has announced a new, improved version, the LX5, to be available in the fall of 2010. It apparently addresses this very list of complaints.

Okay, the LX3 is not a professional camera, but then, so what? I'm taking snapshots for my own enjoyment, not for professional submission. The advantages of packing a light-weight camera with low system complexity and moderate cost, and that interjects fun into picture taking again, far outweighs any concessions required. And I LOVE that fast, wide-angle lens, as I like to shoot natural light and the wide-angle is great for indoor scenes.
The Lumix LX3 is excellent for ambient light, even in dark cathedrals, and its ability to focus under low light conditions is amazing. I have great affection for this camera, and carry it everywhere. One caveat: if you're going to shoot in really dark venues and must use flash, don't rely entirely on the little built-in unit. The camera has an accessory shoe and it allows for more powerful, external flash units. I consider one a good investment.

I'm suggesting that if you like to take pictures while you travel—or at any other time—you should consider the new ranges of smaller cameras, and don't assume that a big DLSR is required for quality shots. My next step will be to the Lumix GF1, slightly larger overall but with a bigger, more sensitive sensor and that accepts interchangeable lenses. It's still small and light, but offers the capability of excellent, high-quality and high-resolution photography at a reasonable cost. From what I've seen of its smaller LX3 cousin, the GF1 with two lenses and an external flash will be virtually all I will need to carry. It even shoots HD video! While the LX3 will come along too, the Nikons are going to get lonesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment